Other Emergent & Early Literacy Resources
Below is a list of select resources for emergent and early literacy compiled by Laura Justice, director of The Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and Policy at The Ohio State University.
- Dickinson, D. K., & Newman, S. (Eds.) (2006). Handbook of early literacy (Volume 2). New York, NY: Guilford.
- Ezell, H. K., & Justice, L. M. (2005). Shared storybook reading. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Foorman, B. R. (2003). Preventing and remediating reading difficulties: Bringing science to scale. Baltimore, MD: York.
- Justice, L. M., & Pence, K. (2005). Scaffolding with storybooks. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- National Assessment of Education Progress/The Nation’s Report Card. Available from http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/
- Neuman, S., & Dickinson, D. K. (Eds. (2001). Handbook of early literacy (Volume 1). New York, NY: Guilford. (see also Volume 2, published in 2005)
- Snow, C., Burns, M. S., & Griffin, P. (Eds.) (1998). Preventing reading difficulties in young children. Washington, DC: National Academy.
- Gillon, G. (2000). The efficacy of phonological awareness intervention for children with spoken language impairment. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 3, 126-141.
- Hammill, D. D. (2004). What we know about correlates of reading. Exceptional Children, 70, 453-468.
- Justice, L. M., Chow, S. M., Capellini, C., Flanigan, K., & Colton, S. (2003). Emergent literacy intervention for vulnerable preschoolers: Relative effects of two approaches. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 12, 320-332.
- Justice, L. M., & Ezell, H. K. (2001). Word and print awareness in 4-year-old children. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, 17, 207-225.
- Justice, L. M., & Ezell, H. K. (2002). Use of storybook reading to increase print awareness in at-risk children. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 11, 17-29.
- Justice, L. M., & Kaderavek, J. (2004). Embedded-explicit emergent literacy I: Background and description of approach. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 35, 201-211.
- Justice, L. M., Meier, J., & Walpole, S. (2005). Learning new words from storybooks: Findings from an intervention with at-risk kindergarteners. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 36, 17-32.
- Justice, L. M., & Pullen, P. (2003). Early literacy intervention strategies: A review of promising findings. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 23, 99-113.
- Justice, L. M., Skibbe, L., & Bowles, R. (2006). Measuring preschool attainment of print concepts: A study of typical and at-risk 3- to 5-year-old children. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 37, 1-12.
- Kaderavek, J., & Justice, L. M. (2004). Embedded-explicit emergent literacy II: Goal selection and implementation in the early childhood classroom. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 25, 212-228.
- Rimm-Kaufman, S. E., Pianta, R. C., & Cox, M. J. (2000). Teacher’s judgments of problems in the transition to kindergarten. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15(2), 147-166.
- Roth, F. P., & Troia, G. A. (2006). Collaborative efforts to promote emergent literacy and efficient word recognition skills. Topics in Language Disorders, 26(1), 24-41.
- Ukrainetz, T. A. (2006). Using emergent writing to develop phonemic awareness. In L. M. Justice (Ed.), Clinical approaches to emergent literacy intervention (pp. 389-428). San Diego, CA: Plural.
- Ukrainetz, T. A., Cooney, M. H., Dyer, S. K., Kysar, A. J., & Harris, T. J. (2000). An investigation into teaching phonemic awareness through shared reading and writing. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15, 331-355.
- Walpole, S., Chow, S. M., & Justice, L. M. (2004). Literacy achievements during kindergarten: Examining key contributors in an at-risk sample. Early Education and Development, 15, 245-264.
Spelling/Phonics/Beginning Reading Instruction
- Bear, D. R., Invernizzi, M., Templeton, S., & Johnston, F. (2004). Words their way (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Ganske, K. (2000). Word journeys. New York, NY: Guilford.
- Johnston, F., Invernizzi, M. A., & Juel, C. (2001). Book buddies: A tutoring framework for struggling readers. New York, NY: Guilford
- Beck, I. L., McKeown, M. G., & Kucan, L. (2002). Bringing words to life. New York, NY: Guilford.
- Bunce, B. (1995). Building a language-focused curriculum. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Lubliner, S., & Smetana, L. (2005). Getting into words. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Nelson, N., Bahr, C., & van Meter, A. (2003). The writing lab approach to language instruction and intervention. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Adams, M. J., Foorman, B. R., Lundberg, I., & Beeler, T. (1998). Phonemic awareness in young children: A classroom curriculum. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Blachman, B., Ball, E. W., Black, R., & Tangel, D. (2000). Road to the code: A phonological awareness program for young children. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Linder, T. W. (1999). Read, play, and learn! Storybook activities for young children: The transdisciplinary play-based curriculum. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- Notari-Syverson, A., O’Connor, R., & Vadasy, P. (2007). Ladders to literacy: A preschool activity book (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- O’Connor, R., Notari-Syverson, A., & Vadasy, P. (2005). Ladders to literacy: A kindergarten activity book (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- TEX-IN3: Hoffman, J., Sailors, M., Duffy, G. R., Beretvas, S. (2004). The effective elementary classroom literacy environment: Examining the validity of the TEX-IN3 observation system. Journal of Literacy Research, 36(3), 303-334.
- TILRS: Girolametto, L., Weitzman, E., & Greenberg, J. (2000). Teacher Interaction and Language Rating Scale. Toronto, ON: The Hanen Centre. (For description and copy of tool, see: Girolametto, L., Weitzman, E., & Greenberg, J. (2003). Training day care staff to facilitate children’s language. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 12, 299-311.)
- ELLCO: Smith, M. W., & Dickinson, D. K. (2002). Early Literacy and Language Classroom Observation—Research edition. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
- CLEP: Wolfersberger, M. E., Reutzel, R., Sudweeks, R., & Fawson, P. (2004). Developing and validating the Classroom Literacy Environmental Profile (CLEP): A tool for examining the “print richness” of early childhood and elementary classrooms. Journal of Literacy Research, 36, 211-272.